Re: [Chicken-users] Compiling the IUP egg - IUP not found

From: Thomas Chust
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Compiling the IUP egg - IUP not found
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 18:05:31 +0100

2010/11/9 Joe Python <address@hidden>:
> [...]
> In my C:\mingw32\include directory I have added the following files from
> ffcall:
> [...]
> However I still get the sameĀ  'IUP not found' error message when i do the
> chicken-install.
> [...]

Hello Joe,

hmm, judging by the example command line for GCC that you gave in your first
message, maybe you are linking statically and there are some libraries IUP
depends on that have to be added to the linker flags when creating the CHICKEN
extensions.

The build script of the IUP egg makes no effort to figure out the proper linker
flags for prerequisite libraries but assumes that linkage is automatically
properly transitive (which is not the case for static libraries on many
systems).

Since I have never tried to compile the IUP egg on Windows nor to link it
statically against IUP, I don't know the proper magic incantations for this
case :-( You could start trying by adding -lgdi32 -luser32 -lcomdlg32 -lole32
-lcomctl32 -L -mwindows to the contents of the CSC_OPTIONS environment variable
before building the egg.

You could also try to simply disable all the guards in the egg's setup script
that prevent extensions from being built when the script thinks this will fail.
That way you should at least get more detailed error messages from the compiler
and linker.

By the way, if anybody was able to contribute a proper system independent build
configuration algorithm for the IUP egg that would figure out the correct linker
flags for all possible combinations of crazy operating systems and linkage
setups automatically, I would be happy to add it to the egg's setup script :-)

Ciao,
Thomas