Re: [Chicken-users] Fwd: Re: process-wait

From: Alan Post
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Fwd: Re: process-wait
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 10:17:31 -0600

On Sat, Sep 03, 2011 at 10:30:24AM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> Jörg F. Wittenberger scripsit:
>
> > But wait: Jules is right: somehow there needs to be some arrangement
> > that there's a waitpid sure before the process exists on any other way
> > to prevent zombies on the system.
> >
> > Does anyone have a suggestion how to assure that?
>
> If the parent process calls sigaction() on SIGCHLD and set the sa_handler
> to SIG_DFL and the sa_flags to SA_NOCLDWAIT, then its children will not
> become zombies, but will just vanish. See
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/sigaction.html

I don't understand some of the details regarding the Chicken
Scheduler as it is being talked about in this thread, so please
excuse me if I demonstrate that ignorance here, but it is important
to me to be able to wait for children I spawn and collect their exit
status--this is a feature I use and need to retain.

If the runtime is going to change the way that this works, I
still need the ability to check the status of my child processes,
and not to have that all automatically done.

-Alan
--
.i ma'a lo bradi cu penmi gi'e du