Re: [Chicken-users] Dynamic wind problem in with-input-from-file

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Dynamic wind problem in with-input-from-file
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 08:27:29 +0900

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 1:56 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:

> I see. The old RnRS problem. Everything is either implementation
> dependent or unspecified:
>
> $ grep -io "implementation-dependent\|unspeciļ¬ed" r7rs-draft-1.txt |wc -l
> 109

The return value of every side-effecting procedure
are "unspecified", and that's a very good thing.

In general, the things that are unspecified are
so simply because it doesn't make sense to
specify them.  This particular case I believe
is an exception - I think the authors simply
forgot to update the with-input-from-file spec
after adding dynamic-wind (which was new in
R5RS).  I've added a ticket for this:

  http://trac.sacrideo.us/wg/ticket/317

If there are any other cases of unspecified
behavior you actually think should be specified,
please bring it up on the R7RS list.

--
Alex