[Chicken-users] gethostbyname() is deprecated in favour of getaddrinfo()

From: Moritz Wilhelmy
Subject: [Chicken-users] gethostbyname() is deprecated in favour of getaddrinfo()
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 14:21:40 +0200

Dear Chickeneers,

While building the OpenSuSE package for Chicken, I discovered the following:

[  473s] RPMLINT report:
[  473s] ===============
[  482s] chicken-runtime.i586: I: binary-or-shlib-calls-gethostbyname
/usr/lib/libchicken.so.7
[  482s] The binary calls gethostbyname(). Please port the code to use
getaddrinfo().
[  482s]
[  482s] 5 packages and 0 specfiles checked; 0 errors, 0 warnings.
[  482s]

(Full build log here:
http://build.opensuse.org/package/live_build_log/home:mwilhelmy:chicken/chicken/openSUSE_12.3/i586
 )

Do you think it would be a good idea to port chicken to use getaddrinfo()
instead, not that it's top priority or anything? getaddrinfo is part of
POSIX.1-2001 so it should be present on most systems, while POSIX.1-2008
removes gethostbyname() from the specification altogether.

Best regards,

Moritz