Re: [Chicken-users] types - compiler too optimistic?

From: megane
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] types - compiler too optimistic?
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 17:45:59 +0300

Martin Schneeweis <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> back at playing with types - my current impression is that the compiler
> is a little too optimistic (goal: get as much warnings as
> possible - optimizations are no concern here).

[snip]

Hi Martin,

There are known limitations in the type checker (scrutinizer) that are
being worked on. The fixes won't be in 5.0, but hopefully in some near
future version.

This is the warning I get with my current modifications for Example B:

Warning: at toplevel:
  in assignment to toplevel variable some-val-nw-2, type of the value

    (or fixnum float)

  does not match declared type

    fixnum

To get any type checking at all you need to have the scrutinizer
enabled. You can force it by using the -specialize flag, or using
optimization level of >= 3. So using only -optimize-level 0 will
suppress all type warnings.