Re: [Chicken-users] [ANN] CHICKEN 5.0.0 release candidate 1 available

From: Kristian Lein-Mathisen
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] [ANN] CHICKEN 5.0.0 release candidate 1 available
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 01:10:40 +0200

Hi all,
and sorry about the late response on this one.

On my main Arch Linux, everything I tested has worked except building statically against `check-errors` (ticket 1506).

Operating system: Arch Linux
Hardware platform:  x86-64
C Compiler: GCC 8.2.0
Installation works?: yes
Tests work?: yes
Installation of eggs works?: yes

I also tested this on a win10 with make PLATFORM=mingw-msys install check:

Operating system: Win10
Hardware platform:  x86-64
C Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 (rev1 msys2)
Installation works?: yes
Tests work?: yes
Installation of eggs works?: yes

Note that I had to install the "diff" tool to make the check succeed.
Here's a summary of the problems I encoutered with C5rc1 on Windows 10:

- when linking statically, csc is looking for ".o" files (Kooda is looking into this I think) , improper patch here
- pathname wierdness, see this paste
- generated <egg>.install.bat file produces copy syntax error (see this paste)

Apart from these minor glitches, the CHICKEN 5 experience has been wonderful.

I wanted to try static linking with CHICKEN 5 and this is the result, a poor man's TeamViewer:
https://gist.github.com/kristianlm/16bbe626b54ad9b4e00fb8617d026bec
K.