cjk-list

Re: [cjk] [mailman] texlive svn write access Fw: Re: revisiting ttf2tfm

From: Peter Breitenlohner
Subject: Re: [cjk] [mailman] texlive svn write access Fw: Re: revisiting ttf2tfm and dvipdfmx
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:14:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

Karl Berry wrote:
Regarding freetype1: for the record, our plan/hope was to drop it next
year (TeX Live 2014).  As Peter reminded me, once ttf2pk2 has been
sufficiently tested (it's already in the TL repo), texk/ttf2pk can be
dropped and freetype1 with it.

So there's no point in spending time on it.

This whole thread is giving me the impression that ttf2pk2 has only been tested on Computer Modern Roman, and only intended for use with that one font.

Definitely not true.  The texk/ttf2pk2 versions are supposed to do exactly
the same as the texk/ttf2pk ones, the only aim is to get rid of the ancient
and no longer supported libttf that is known to have several bugs.  Building
texk/ttf2pk2 even includes a few tests with GenR102.ttf and (a somewhat
mutilated) ipaexg.ttf.

.... I sincerely hope that texk/ttf2pk continues to be available for another year or two, even if nobody is spending time on it.

Perhaps, although we certainly prefer to drop it.

There is still the indeterminism issue which is extremely easy to see on a few dozen of fonts from half a dozen vendors, and not touched upon.

I'll come to that, but will need an URL for simsun.ttc and/or msmincho.ttc.

Regards
Peter