Re: java.util.BitSet and synchronization

From: Jochen Hoenicke
Subject: Re: java.util.BitSet and synchronization
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 12:25:42 +0100 (MET)

On Oct 30, Bryce McKinlay wrote:
> The JCL supplement book says that the BitSet class is now not
> synchronized, however "all boolean operations that operate on two bit
> sets still properly handle the case where both bit sets are the same
> object". Does anyone know what this above statement means? Does this
> imply that these operations are supposed to synchronize on their
> argument bitset?

I think this just means that e.g. foo.xor(foo) works as expected (as
long as foo is not accessed in another thread).  But I can't see what
is special about it.

I have written a not synchronized version long time ago, but I never
checked it in.  It is a 32 bit version that is faster for 32bit
processors (and still 100% compatible).  The 64bit code is still in,
commented in a special way.  It's located at

 http://www.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de/~delwi/classpath/BitSet.java

  Jochen