Re: A java DEBUG flag

From: Bryce McKinlay
Subject: Re: A java DEBUG flag
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 12:19:07 +1300

Mark Wielaard wrote:

> Does it has to be a compile time constansts?

Yes.

> If we used something like
> System.getProperty("gnu.java.io.serialisation.debugging") to set these
> constants (you can even do that in an interface)

I don't think so ;-)

> then at runtime the
> user could do a -Dgnu.java.io.serialisation.debugging=yes to turn on
> the debugging. (It should at least be an option to have these 'constants'
> compiled in so they can be set dynamicly at runtime IMHO.)

We'll do that as well. To get the debug output you'll have to configure with
"--enable-libgcj-debug" _and_ set the runtime property. But we do want to
have the compile time constants in order to ensure there is _no_ overhead
from the debugging code for an optimized build.

regards

  [ bryce ]