Re: classpath-0.01 released

From: Jeff Sturm
Subject: Re: classpath-0.01 released
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:50:54 -0500

Tom Tromey wrote:
> Bryce> I'm not sure exactly what you mean here, but it sounds like a
> Bryce> lower level problem to me. There is a portability issue where
> Bryce> we assume that the native file descriptors are ints, but afaik
> Bryce> this is confined to FileDescriptor.java in libgcj.
>
> My recollection (based on a conversation we had a while back on
> java-discuss) was that the `int' problem was part of it, but also we
> needed to handle file descriptors for sockets differently from file
> descriptors for files.

Right.  Using a socket as a native file descriptor (i.e. expecting
read/write/close system calls to work) turns out to be non-portable.  Libgcj
relies on FileDescriptor in java.net for convenience, not because it is required
by the API.  I don't know what Classpath does.

--
Jeff Sturm
address@hidden