Green on Japhar..

From: Cris Vulpe
Subject: Green on Japhar..
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 00:14:20 -0800

Hello Japharians..

I am new to the wild and wacky world of JVMs and
I am considering starting to do my homework on
either Japhar or Kaffe.

The long term objective is to port a reduced JVM
to an NEC V832 with ThreadX.

Please forgive my innocence and, if you decide
I am not worth chewing and spitting out, maybe you
could help me with some info.

- I was wondering where do the core classes come
from with Japhar?  The README says that they
should be available at www.oryxsoft.com but that
URL is not responding.  I also understand from the
documentation (and deduce from some group traffic)
that Japhar is being integrated with GNU Classpath.

Is this true?  Does it mean that I need to research both
Japhar and GNU Classpath?  Do they work together
at this point?

- This is a bigger question.. how compatible is Japhar
with Java 1.2 ?

As side thing.. just so I don't make a complete fool
of myself, could you point me to some rags that
discuss the differences between 1.1 and 1.2.. just so
I know (something..)?

- And one last question.. is Kaffe further along in the
compatibility area?  I am not as interested in performance
as I am in 1.2 compatibility since we would like to use
the Java 1.2 Crypto Extensions for our stuff..

I don't know how realistic it is to even think about using
Kaffe or Japhar with JCE.. just fishing for information
right now..

Thank you.. y'all.. very much..

Cris Vulpe