Re: JavaMail

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: JavaMail
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 23:24:25 +0000

>>> Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> 06-Dec-00 11:10:18 PM >>>

>I promised to help by implementing free versions
>of the javax.mail and javax.activation APIs. I remember
>that someone said that they had started on implementing
>these APIs already but I cannot find such a message in
>the archives. Does someone know who was already
>working on this?

Andrew Selkirk started a project called OJE (open java extensions).

He's already got javax.activation and some of javax.mail. He's also
working on javax.media I think.

I'm helping him with the IMAP provider for javamail.

I'm sure he could do with more helpers, I could certainly use some
help with the IMAP provider.

If you're interested andrew is at: address@hidden

and the project is at: oje.sourceforge.net

My IMAP discussion list (for talking about implementing the IMAP
provider) is being hosted by topica. You can join by sending mail to:

  address@hidden

Andrew is licencing the OJE stuff under the LGPL. I have been trying
to persuade him to donate the work to the GNU project but he's not
entirely convinced yet. I think mainly he just wants to get it done
and doesn't much care where it sits.

Nic Ferrier