Re: JavaMail

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: JavaMail
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 00:39:05 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 11:24:25PM +0000, Nic Ferrier wrote:

> >I promised to help by implementing free versions
> >of the javax.mail and javax.activation APIs. I remember
> >that someone said that they had started on implementing
> >these APIs already but I cannot find such a message in
> >the archives. Does someone know who was already
> >working on this?
>
> Andrew Selkirk started a project called OJE (open java extensions).
>
> He's already got javax.activation and some of javax.mail. He's also
> working on javax.media I think.
> I'm helping him with the IMAP provider for javamail.
>
> I'm sure he could do with more helpers, I could certainly use some
> help with the IMAP provider.
>
> If you're interested andrew is at: address@hidden
> and the project is at: oje.sourceforge.net

Great! I will check out the source and see what has to be done.
We should probably coordinate who does what so we don't duplicate
efforts.

> My IMAP discussion list (for talking about implementing the IMAP
> provider) is being hosted by topica. You can join by sending mail to:
>
>   address@hidden

I will subscribe to that list.
Where does the source of the IMAP provider live?

> Andrew is licencing the OJE stuff under the LGPL. I have been trying
> to persuade him to donate the work to the GNU project but he's not
> entirely convinced yet. I think mainly he just wants to get it done
> and doesn't much care where it sits.

It would be nice if we could add it to GNU Classpath.
But we can work on SourceForge for now. If we just make sure that we
keep track of all the authors we can always donate it later to the FSF
if that is what all the authors want.