Re: java.security

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: java.security
Date: 19 Dec 2000 22:12:26 -0500

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> We've used Cryptix with libgcj before.  The Cryptix is BSD-like but is
> probably not compatible with the GPL or LGPL.  But I think it probably
> is compatible with the GPL+exception that libgcj uses.

Is it compatible with the classpath license?  In this case, should we
work towards making parts of classpath use JCE implemenations from
Cryptix?  Maybe this is a matter of making use of their libraries as a
provider instead of ours?  I'd love to hear how this would work and
even better be able to use it!  :)

The license we both use for class libraries in both projects (excuse
me if I'm wrong), is as follows (short version used as a header in
files).

This file is part of GNU Classpath.

GNU Classpath is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
any later version.

GNU Classpath is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
General Public License for more details.

along with GNU Classpath; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to the
Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA
02111-1307 USA.

As a special exception, if you link this library with other files to
produce an executable, this library does not by itself cause the
resulting executable to be covered by the GNU General Public License.
This exception does not however invalidate any other reasons why the
executable file might be covered by the GNU General Public License. */

--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>