Re: java.security

From: Mark Benvenuto
Subject: Re: java.security
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 20:43:31 -0500 (EST)

On 20 Dec 2000, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Bryce> It would be good to import some of Cryptix's security
> Bryce> providers. However, according to the Cryptix FAQ, some of it
> Bryce> would be subject to US export regulations and so would not be
> Bryce> able to be downloaded from a server in the US.
>
> We should definitely contact the Cryptix developers before doing any
> importing.  They probably have details on the export stuff too...

The export restricted stuff is the encryption algorithms (DES, Blowfish,
RSA, etc). Message Digests and Signature algorithms are allowed for
export. The problem is the symmetric and asymmetic encryption algorithms
which I think are counted as munitions. RSA is a tricky case but in
general the algorithms included in the Sun JDK are fine. The Sun JDK
includes no encryption methods for this reason, you would need to use the
JCE to get those algorithms which is export restricted. RSA is tricky
because it can both sign and encrypt.