Re: Bug in Long.toOctalString

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Bug in Long.toOctalString
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 23:09:47 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 06:24:16PM +0100, Eric Blake wrote:
> Yet another bug in the wrapper classes.  Plus, the previous commit didn't
> update the (c) date for Byte.java.
Thanks. Fixed.

Your version of looks a lot like the version used in libgcj.
They use a char[] which seems a bit more efficient then using
a StringBuffer, but your version uses the digit[] which seems
more efficient then their use of Character.forDigit().
Maybe we can merge the two versions of Long while fixing these bugs?
I saw Tom Tromey was already working on Boolean and Integer.

> The code in Classpath does not seem to follow any consistent standards.  Are
> .java files supposed to follow Sun's recommendation (hanging open braces) or
> GNU convention (open braces on new line)?  When there is enough indentation,
> should I use TABs or 8 spaces?  And different files in java.lang disagree
> whether indentation is 2, 4, or 8 spaces; but both Sun and GNU recommend 4.
Sad but true. I always try to follow the convention used in the file I
edit. There is a semi standard that Tom Tromey already described.
Bryce Mckinlay wrote a patch for gnu indent that we should use one day
on all code to make in uniform.
<http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/classpath/2000-October/000092.html>

Stuff to read:
    <http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html>
  What's Wrong with Copy Protection, by John Gilmore