Re: Kaffe's RMI library

From: Etienne M. Gagnon
Subject: Re: Kaffe's RMI library
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 17:08:44 -0400

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 03:16:01PM -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Paul>     KAFFE   Transvirtual Technologies, Inc. 2000-10-20
> Paul>     Assigns Kaffe RMI Library and future changes submitted to the FSF.
> Paul>     (Tim Wilkinson)
>
> I spent some time today looking at the Kaffe RMI.

So, are you saying that you intend to include Kaffe's RMI into ClassPath?
Under what license terms?

I thought one of the main motivations to start the whole Classpath project was
that the GPL on Kaffe's libraries was too restrictive.  I certainly think that
the GPL is too restrictive, because it precludes running non GPL-compatible code
on top of a "free VM + Classpath".  In other words, it precludes running things
like the SpecJVM benchmarks (as at "dynamic link" time, the loaded application
is linked with Classpath).

By the way, what's the progress on:
1- Clarifications to the GPL exception (if any)
2- AWT relicensing (LGPL -> GPL+Exception

Or, maybe I shouldn't ask such questions because I am not an official
Classpath member, and such discussions should be held privately?

Etienne
--
Etienne M. Gagnon                               address@hidden