Ant (was Re: about RMI)

From: Anthony Green
Subject: Ant (was Re: about RMI)
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 06:29:52 -0700

Okamoto-san wrote:
> But it's distributed with Apache License though I wrote Gcj.java and
> Kjc.java...

I'd like to see your Gcj.java.  What are you able to do with it?  Build to
.class files?  Build natively?  Does Ant rely on the recursive build feature
that all java compilers seam to implement except for gcj?

There's a lot of code being built with Ant these days.  Partly out of
frustration, I have created a cvs tree with imports of important open source
java packages (xerces, xalan, tomcat, regexp packages like gnu.regexp,
jakarta-oro, and more) and autoconf/automake/libtool configury for building
and testing .so files and executables generated for all of these.  See
http://sources.redhat.com/rhug.

Now that we have a stable native lib-org-apache-xerces.so, I suppose we could
try building and using Ant with gcj.  I am skeptical that it will support all
of the features I'm interested in (cross compiling, libtool-like shared
library mgmt) -- but I'd like to see.

Thanks,

AG