Re: build ideas

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: build ideas
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:51:54 +0100

Andreas said:

>I guess jakarta-ant is the answer to this problem...
>  http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/
>I thought someone is already working on a build.xml file?

Personally, I don't like Ant. It's not *free* software either.

There's not much you can do with Ant that can't be done with Make
(given a little thought).

Ant is also very Java centric, Classpath has a lot of C (and C++ if we
include the GCJ stuff). Make is perfect for those languages.

Brian, would you like to check out the Paperclips and Classpathx make
files? They use the the @filelist convieniance to facilitate better
make control over java projects.

Nic Ferrier