Re: build update

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: build update
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 15:44:23 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 27, 2001 at 09:23:49AM -0400, Brian Jones wrote:
> Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> writes:
> > I finally found a way to get gcj to compile Classpath with our build
> > scripts. You have to make sure that no classes are defined twice on the
> > command lince. So I changed the gen-classlist script to only look in
> > the srcdir for java files and to get the gnu/classpath/Configuration.java
> > file explicitly from the builddir. (You have add it to the standard.omit
> > list in case you configure in the srcdir.)
>
> Well, there is the distinct possibility that we need to generate more
> classes than just Configuration.java so I'd rather not single it out.

The problem is when srcdir == builddir and you try to get a list by
adding both all java files from the srcdir and all java files from the
builddir then the generated list contains duplicates. Only explicitly adding
generated java files from the builddir works around this. But if you want
you can also solve this by using e.g. sort -u.

> > And gcj goes crazy when it finds classes on its classpath that are
> > also on its commandline (somehow it gets confused because it cannot
> > see that ../X.java is the same as ./../X.java).
>
> Sounds like a bug.
It is, but I have not been able to get a small testcase.
Note to gcj hackers: To reproduce just run the following in the lib dir
from Classpath "gcj --classpath=.. -C -d . @classes". You will get errors
like:
../java/lang/ClassNotFoundException.java:48: Class
`java.lang.ClassNotFoundException' already defined in
././../java/lang/ClassNotFoundException.java:48.
   public class ClassNotFoundException extends Exception
                ^

But making sure that a source file is not both on the commandline and
on the -classpath list works around it.

> > Attached is a diff against your patch (and standard.omit against CVS).
> > Could you include these if you commit your build changes?
>
> I'll take a look.

Thanks, it would be nice to support gcj 3.0.x out of the box.

Stuff to read:
    <http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html>
  What's Wrong with Copy Protection, by John Gilmore