Re: address@hidden: Re: [Jikesrvm-researchers] Congratulations on Jikes-

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: [Jikesrvm-researchers] Congratulations on Jikes-RVM 2.0 - questions about licensing.]
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 22:58:48 +0200

Hi,

Read <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html>

> I think it is not copyleft, but it is an approved OpenSource license.
The Jikes VM itself is (probably) Free Software since it is released under
the Common Public License which is derived from the IBM Public License which
is a Free Software license. But the class libraries are certainly not Free
Software since they are distributed under a separate license which is very
restrictive. See <http://www-124.ibm.com/cgi-bin/jikesrvm/jlibraries>.

Stuff to read:
    <http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html>
  What's Wrong with Copy Protection, by John Gilmore