java.awt status LGPL -> GPL?

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: java.awt status LGPL -> GPL?
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 22:48:14 +0100

Hi,

I was going through our documentation pages in doc/www.gnu.org and found
the following in status.wml:

    The AWT classes we have are licensed under the LGPL although RMS
    has demanded this be changed to the GPL.  At the same time the GCJ
    team has written their own AWT that is available under a license
    more like the rest of GNU Classpath and this may be available in
    GCC 3.0.  For now these AWT issues remain unresolved and GNU
    Classpath does not have a working AWT.

I was not aware that the license of the awt classes should have been
changed from LGPL to GPL. I might have missed something but I cannot
remember that was ever an issue (during the time we discussed switching
from LGPL to GPL+exception and merging with libgcj).

What is the current status of this?

Note that GCC 3.0.x ships with a partial AWT implementation under
GPL+exception. And the just announced Wonka class libraries seem to come
with a complete AWT under a BSD+trademark style license.

P.S. I note that we now have another CVS tree on savannah for the web
documentation. Which tree should I use when updating documentation?

--
Stuff to read:
    <http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html>