Re: Kissme

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Kissme
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:28:44 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 11:43:23PM -0500, Brian Jones wrote:
> Has anyone tried compiling Kissme from CVS?
Yes. But the CVS version is broken :(
See <http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/7159/2001/10/0/6901335/>
(But note also the next message in which I report success with the latest
released version of kissme and kissme-classpath 0.19.)

> I'm having the following problem:

> antlr/NoViableAltForCharException
>       at java.io.File.<init>(File.java:276)
>       at gnu.makeme.ControlFileHandler.<init>(ControlFileHandler.java:72)
>       at gnu.makeme.Context.readControlFile(Context.java:114)
>       at gnu.makeme.Context.doConstruction(Context.java:90)
>       at gnu.makeme.Context.<init>(Context.java:84)
>       at gnu.makeme.Context.<init>(Context.java:104)
>       at gnu.makeme.MakeMe.<init>(MakeMe.java:64)
>       at gnu.makeme.MakeMe.main(MakeMe.java:56)
>
> CLASSPATH=/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/lib/rt.jar:/home/cbj/classes/kjc-suite-1.5B-bin.jar:/home/cbj/classes
>
> ANTLR is in kjc-suite, but it is more like
> at.dms.compiler.tools.antlr.runtime.NoViableAltForCharException
> instead of antlr.Nov...

I am not getting this. But I used gcj to create a native makeme library
from the source downloaded from <http://makeme.sf.net/>. And compiled against
the Debian antlr package:

    gcj -o makeme --main=gnu.makeme.MakeMe gnu/makeme/*.class \
      gnu/makeme/parser/*.class /usr/share/java/antlr.jar

(Note that you do get some warnings from gcj about unreachable bytecode,
but this is harmless.)
Now you have a very fast loading makeme program.

The actual .makeme files in kissme use jikes so you don't need kjc at all.

But you don't have to do all this if you compile from the release version
since that contains a normal Makefiles.

Stuff to read:
    <http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html>
  What's Wrong with Copy Protection, by John Gilmore