Re: testing before a release

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: testing before a release
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 12:06:51 -0800

Etienne M. Gagnon wrote:

Nobody cared about the LGPL license for Classpath before the libgcj merge.

A number of people were concerned about the duplication of effort,
and LGPL has always been unacceptable for libgcj.

To solve the "linking" problem, they went with GPL + exception, but a careful inspection of it tell you that it is a permission to reuse contributed code without any sourc-code redistribution obkigation (very good for companies [I could say names here] to make money $$$ selling embedded stuff that was developped by others).

That is kind of the goal. We (well, some of us) want GNU Java to be a competitive alternative to proprietary Java, even for people doing proprietary embedded applications. I will name a name: RedHat (and before that Cygnus) has put a lot of development time and money into GNU Java (GCJ, libgcj, gdb, Classpath), and they make a good chunk of their money selling tools for embedded developers. I really don't hope you
think it unfair for them to try to get some of that money back.

Note the GPL + exception is only a permission to "reuse contributed code without any source-code redistribution obkigation" if you "link this library". If you take contributed code and use it apart from the library, or if you modify the code in the
library, then the GPL applies.

   --Per Bothner