Re: Re (3): testing before a release

From: Etienne M. Gagnon
Subject: Re: Re (3): testing before a release
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:29:44 -0500

Hi all,

I am trying to be both constructive and realistic. It seems that changing the non-AWT license is a difficult issue. I have two simple proposals:
1- Keep the current exception, but add a small, yet important, clarification.
2- Do the same as (1-), but also change the "base license" from GPL to LGPL.

I will discuss(2-) in another message, as it is a somewhat larger change. Here is the clarification I suggest to add in (1-):

--- BEGIN ---
Note that people who make modified versions of Classpath are not
obligated to grant this special exception for their modified versions;
it is their choice whether to do so.  The GNU General Public License
gives permission to release a modified version without this exception;
this exception also makes it possible to release a modified version
which carries forward this exception.

I think it shouldn't require a license war to get this through, as it changes nothing to the spirit nor to the content of the current GPL+exception; it simply clarifies it.

Does any body have an objection to adding this paragraph?

Etienne
PS: I would really prefer that people go with my second suggestion, but I think we should at least agree on adding this clarification.
--
Etienne M. Gagnon                    http://www.info.uqam.ca/~egagnon/