Re: Re (2): testing before a release

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Re (2): testing before a release
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 11:55:02 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 11:08:01PM -0600, Fred Gray wrote:

> kaffe org.apache.someprogram.Main
>
> since the Apache license is incompatible with the GPL.  (Note that we don't
> even have to bring proprietary software or embedded systems into the
> discussion.)  With respect to a Java virtual machine, the application of
> the GPL without an exception clause seems to violate my "freedom 0."

You always have that freedom since the GPL explicitly says:
"The act of running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the
Program is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the
Program".

But you might be restricted in your other freedoms (3 and 4) when you want
to distribute a derived work based on GPL and non-GPL-compatible code.
But this is true for any program distributed under the GPL. You can use it
however you want, create improvements for yourself, but if you want to
distribute such a derived work you will have to make sure the freedoms carry
over to your users.

Stuff to read:
    <http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html>
  What's Wrong with Copy Protection, by John Gilmore