State of AWT?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: State of AWT?
Date: 14 Jan 2002 00:24:10 -0700

Tonight I optimistically started doing some Classpath/libgcj AWT
merging.  I've appended my current ChangeLog entry.  There's still
more to do, since what I've got right now doesn't build (in the
Classpath tree -- it builds fine in the libgcj tree).

The libgcj AWT doesn't work.  It isn't even finished.  So I'm not
really worried about introducing bugs.

However, I'd prefer not to do too much damage to the Classpath AWT
during the merge.  Is it possible to run the Classpath AWT?  If so,
how?  Also, is there a list of known bugs?  I looked around a little
but didn't see a test suite.

Tom

2002-01-14  Tom Tromey  <address@hidden>

        Merged with libgcj:
        * java/awt/color/ColorSpace.java: New file from libgcj.
        * java/awt/color/ICC_ColorSpace.java: Likewise.
        * java/awt/color/ICC_Profile.java: Likewise.
        * java/awt/AWTEventMulticaster.java: Merged with libgcj.
        * java/awt/event/HierarchyListener.java: New file from libgcj.
        * java/awt/event/HierarchyEvent.java: New file from libgcj.
        * java/awt/event/HierarchyBoundsListener.java: New file from
        libgcj.
        * java/awt/event/HierarchyBoundsAdapter.java: New file from
        libgcj.
        * java/awt/peer/ComponentPeer.java (getGraphicsConfiguration): New
        method.
        * java/awt/AWTEvent.java: Merged with libgcj.
        * java/awt/Event.java: New file from libgcj.
        * java/awt/image/BufferedImage.java: New file from libgcj.
        * java/awt/GraphicsConfiguration.java: New file from libgcj.
        * java/awt/Component.java (orientation): New field.
        (setComponentOrientation, getComponentOrientation): New methods
        from libgcj.
        (visible): Now package-private.
        (parent): Likewise.
        (isLightweight): New method.
        (eventMask): Renamed from enabled_events; now package-private;
        updated all users.
        (valid): Now package-private.
        (dispatchEvent): New version from libgcj.
        (dispatchEventImpl): New method from libgcj.
        * java/awt/Container.java (addImpl): Handle case where constraint
        is not a String.  Post event via system event queue.
        (remove): Post event via system event queue.
        (validateTree): Only validate child if it is invalid.
        (getAlignmentX): Call super method as default.
        (getAlignmentY): Likewise.
        (addContainerListener): Now synchronized.
        (removeContainerListener): Likewise.
        (addNotifyContainerChildren): Now private.
        * java/awt/FlowLayout.java (serialVersionUID): New field.
        (setAlignment): Better exception message.
        (layoutContainer): Don't compute component's preferred size unless
        we're going to use it.
        * java/awt/ComponentOrientation.java: New file from libgcj.
        * java/awt/BorderLayout.java (AFTER_LAST_LINE, AFTER_LINE_ENDS,
        BEFORE_FIRST_LINE, BEFORE_LINE_BEGINS): New constants.
        (firstLine, lastLine, firstItem, lastItem): New fields.
        (addLayoutComponent): Handle case where constraints is null.
        Also, handle relative locations.
        (removeLayoutComponent): Handle relative locations.
        (MIN, MAX, PREF): New constants.
        (calcCompSize): New method.
        (calcSize): New method.
        (minimumLayoutSize): Use it.
        (preferredLayoutSize): Likewise.
        (maximumLayoutSize): Likewise.
        (toString): Include more information.
        (setBounds): New method.
        (layoutContainer): Use libgcj implementation; extended to handle
        relative locations.