Re: Inspecting [L]GPLed non-FSF code -- was: java.util.logging

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Inspecting [L]GPLed non-FSF code -- was: java.util.logging
Date: 05 Mar 2002 23:00:51 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 21:50, Sascha Brawer wrote:
> I fully understand the importance of this.  The reason for my confusion
> is that the code in question is not licensed under some proprietary
> license, but under the Lesser GPL.  My assumption was that [L]GPL was
> unproblematic.  But it surely makes sense to avoid any legal risk,
> whenever possible.

OK, then my rant about proprietary software and restricted source code
was not completely relevant. Sorry for confusing you more. Of course
when the code in question is Free Software the author clearly wanted to
share ideas and get feedback. And with Free Software you never have to
agree to any restrictive terms before using or studying it. (Which still
does not mean that you can just copy it verbatim if the licenses
conflict. Or that you should not be carefull to make sure that you
really are implementing your own stuff.)

> As of java.util.logging -- by now, I've read Brian Gilstrap's code quite
> extensively.  However, I did *not* change anything in my code so far,
> with one exception: a date format string in XMLFormatter.java, line 77.

And in this particular case you both agreed that sharing ideas
(expressed in code) is a good thing and that you both would like to do
this. You have explicit permission for it so of course it is a good
thing to compare notes.