Re: java.util.zip.GZIPConstants

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: java.util.zip.GZIPConstants
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 01:19:10 -0700

Sascha Brawer wrote:

> 1. The spec requires GZIPInputStream.GZIP_MAGIC; Classpath inherits the
> field from a package-private interface.

This is binary compatible (if the constant is the same), but might be
nice to move (or duplicate) the constant to the correct place for
reflection compatibility.

> 2. According to the spec, there should not be a GZIPOutputStream.GZIP_MAGIC.

This is not binary compatible.  Classpath should not have public fields
where the JDK does not, because it could lead to name conflicts in user
code.

> 3. According to the spec, there should not be a FTEXT anywhere.

In the interface, it is a problem, because it is public.  But if you
move FTEXT out of the interface, and make it package-private or private,
then it is just fine.  The only things we need to match with the JDK are
protected and public APIs, and serialization.  Besides, having internal
constants is often a good idea, to avoid the "magic number" syndrome.

--
This signature intentionally left boring.

Eric Blake             address@hidden
  BYU student, free software programmer