Classpath API javadoc

From: John Leuner
Subject: Classpath API javadoc
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 21:11:47 +0100

> Thank you so much for your detailed reply.  I have a couple of responses
> / sub-questions below:
>
> At 25 April 2002, you wrote:
> >We do need more beginner doc. But we are still working hard on getting
> >stable, usable versions of GCJ, Classpath, etc... out there and
> >working.
> >
> >One of the things you could help us with is documentation.
>
> I would actually really like to help with documentation, as I find
> this pretty lacking in many of even the very best Free projects (not
> slamming anyone, I obviously think that working Free software is
> better than no software or no choice, and i understand the volunteer
> thing, etc., yadda yadda).
>
> I think my level of experience with coding versus documentation would
> make me a much better contributor as a documenter than coder -- especially
> in light of the fact that the things I could code best would be
> (coincidentally)
> the things I am probably the least "clean room" on, since those are
> things I've re-implemented before (though i guess not in a clean
> room -- you should see my apartment these days).
>
> I think I write pretty well (sound of my arm breaking as it reaches
> around to give me a pat on the back).  What would you like help with
> or what do you feel is lacking?  Is it end-user doc, dev-doc, or
> what exactly?  Please, if I'm asking too many questions and this
> is already answered, I can read some stuff if you forward me a pointer
> / link...don't want to be a brain-drainer.

There is an issue I have been meaning to raise lately, but never got round to.

As part of the Classpath effort we are producing a large amount of javadoc
documentation for the standard java class libraries. Unlike Sun, we don't have
a reference page that people can use for an API reference (at least not that I
know of). I think it's a waste of all the effort that has gone into commenting
code, this resource should be made available and people should be encouraged to
use it. Not only does it bring awareness to the project, but people can point
out incorrect documentation (and potentially incorrect implementations) which
is good for the project.

On a technical level, all it requires is a daily script to run javadoc against
Classpath CVS and a webserver.

John Leuner