Re: OT: GPL and jar file

From: Artur Biesiadowski
Subject: Re: OT: GPL and jar file
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 16:08:28 +0200

Andreas Rueckert wrote:
Hi!

I have a licensing question, that you might be able to answer: are 2 classes in
a jar file 'linked' in a GPL way? I mean, if class A is under GPL and I put it
in a jar file with class B, does it restrict the license of B to GPL? Or could
B still be closed source?

Not only that. They do not have even to be in same jar. If you use GPL code, even through dynamic linking, all your app has to be GPL.

With LPGL, situation looks a bit different. In such case, you can for sure use it with commercial application, if it is in different jar. As for putting it in same jar - I don't know how it look like exactly - I do not think that LGPL _clearly_ states it and all what is left is interpretation and good/bad will.

For example, my interpretation is that it is not a problem to embed LGPLed classes in same jar, but you have to LPGL all changes you have made to them plus all new classes which are tightly integrated within - for me it means classes which logically fit in same package. But this is just my interpretation. What is sure, that you CANNOT use GPLed libraries in non-'free' software.

Artur