Re: [Classpath] Re: serialVersionUID

From: C. Scott Ananian
Subject: Re: [Classpath] Re: serialVersionUID
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:08:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Dalibor Topic wrote:

> If classpath uses different implementations of java
> classes on different platforms the genuine
> serialVersionUID for the different implementations
> will obviously differ. I assume that Suns
> serialVersionUID is the same on all platforms, though;
> otherwise one could not reliably exchange serialized
> forms over networks, for example. I dont think Sun has
> specified serialVersionUIDs in the API, though, so you
> may have to dig around the API specs, or use serialver
> on Suns implementation, if you want to be compatible
> with them.

for the exact details of the serialVersionUID computation.
Note that it includes the names of all non-private fields and methods, so
that classpath's implementation will likely yield a different
serialVersionUID.  However, assuming that the method and field names
don't change from platform and platform (which seems extremely
reasonable), the serialVersionUID should be the same.
Dalibor's right: Sun doesn't appear to list serialVersionUIDs in the API
spects, although I seem to recall that at one time they did.  They *do*
list all the serializable fields:
although this documentation is not as complete (field ordering
information, especially, is absent) as I would like.

plastique interception smuggle radar atomic pending Peking Serbian
Legion of Doom Philadelphia Leitrim supercomputer Moscow arrangements
                         ( )