Re: [Classpath] Re: bug in gnu.vm.stack.StackFrame

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: [Classpath] Re: bug in gnu.vm.stack.StackFrame
Date: 03 Oct 2002 17:34:40 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 00:43, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> On 10 Sep 2002, Mark Wielaard wrote:
>
> > StackFrame, ExecutionStack and StackTrace are a bit old. I don't know if
> > there are VMs that still use these classes. For Throwable stack traces
> > we now have java.lang.StackTraceElement and I will soon add my recent
> > work on VMThrowable that I did for libgcj to Classpath. But for security
> > managers and for AccessController the ExecutionStack could still be
> > useful. Do VM implementers actually use/implement support for these
> > classes?
>
> I would actually like a linked list version of StackTraceElement (with a
> 'caller' field) that I could translate to/from an array representation
> for interoperability with Throwable.get/setStackTrace().  The idea is
> that as the exception is thrown from each method, I could link in a
> single StackTraceElement onto the exception.

But would you use a Java object to hold that state? Remember that you
only need the complete StackTraceElement information if the thrown
Exception is actually used after it is caught, otherwise you don't need
to decode method names, create String objects, etc.

I will try to merge in my reworked Throwable class from gcj soon.

No.