Re: JamaicaVM and GNU Classpath

From: Andy Walter
Subject: Re: JamaicaVM and GNU Classpath
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 16:14:37 +0200

Hi Mark,

On Saturday 26 October 2002 13:26, Mark Wielaard wrote:

> We also want to set something like that up for Kissme (or sablevm or
> Orp) and mauve. So that would be a very nice contribution. Then we can
> more easily compare what are VM issues and what are library issues. I
> have already something simple setup to post Mauve results for (lib)gcj
> to the gcc-testresults mailing list. See e.g.
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2002-10/msg00865.html

This looks indeed quite similar to what we currently have. Denis (whom we
assigned to the task of improving the statistics) is new to aicas and not
very experienced, so he'll probably take some time. But I'm quite content
with what he did so far and expect that by the end of november we have this
finished.

What do you do with your statistics? We use CVS to store the detailed report
and use a brief summary as log message. We use the CVS facilities of sending
an eMail with the log message to all developers.

We use scripts to generate a wrapping main class for each test (which is maybe
not what the mauve developers intended, because running the test suite takes
some time that way, but we want to be able to generate proper log files even
in case some severe bug was found in the VM).

For the improved statistics, we plan to store the result of each single test
class in a separate CVS'ed file, so comparing the results should be quite
easy.

Since we use autoconf to configure the script, another VM can be easily used.

I just wanted to give you a short overview. We don't like to release the
scripts in the state they are now, because they're just about to being
restructured. But if you have comments or special wishes which we can easily
adopt, this is probably the right time for it.

Maybe this discussion is off topic here. If you think so, we can continue on
the mauve mailinglists (I just subscribed).

> > However, we have not finished the integration of all Classpath packages.
> > There are some slight problems with java.io. I'm sure we can handle this
> > within a couple of days. I just wanted to contact you as soon as possible
> > to see your reactions.
>
> Note that there are some (subtle) problems with the current java.io
> setup in GNU Classpath. We want to use the setup that (lib)gcj uses and
> that Jeroen Frijters uses for IK.VM.NET. See:
>
>     http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2002-10/msg00019.html
>     http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2002-10/msg00037.html

Thank you for the pointer. That probably explains why the call of (the POSIX C
function) close in _javaio_close was commented out. I'll have a more
detailled look at the matter in the next couple of days.

Cheers,

        Andy.

--
aicas GmbH * Hoepfner Burg                       /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Haid-und-Neu-Straße 18 * 76131 Karlsruhe         \ /  No HTML or RTF in mail