Re: Proposal for changes to Classpath's JNI libraries

From: Stephen Crawley
Subject: Re: Proposal for changes to Classpath's JNI libraries
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 09:47:13 +1000

> Stephen Crawley wrote:
>

> > Those of you have been following the Kissme mailing list will know
> > that we've had a long-standing problem with Kissme garbage collection
> > and IO.  In a nutshell, the Kissme garbage collector can only run
> > when all threads are within a "GC point".  Normal Java code regularly
> > enters (and exits) GC points, and native code will get there eventually.
>

> As far as I understand one of basic concepts behind JNI, idea behind
> local/global references mess one exactly meant to provide a help for gc.
> Call to native method can be marked as safe (all call areas have to be
> fully resolved to allow gc for upper frames). Inside JNI, nothing bad
> can happen - all references to java objects are managed through JNI
> itself, which is fully under your control.

I understand this.  Unfortunately it does not work for us at the moment
because Kissme's native methods do not "obey the rules", and are hence
not GC safe.

> Why careful design of JNI layer cannot solve the problem here ?

I'm sure it would have done, but that's not where we are at right
now.  We have a large amount of JVM code whose implementation we
cannot really trust.  To move forward in the short term, we need
to do something like this.

> You cannot expect all people out there to write their JNI libraries
> wrapping any potentially blocking calls into your calls (I'm talking
> about third party libraries).

You are correct.  However, support for direct IO from third party JNI
libraries is not a high priority for us right now.

--  Steve