Re: JNI/CNI Revisited

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: JNI/CNI Revisited
Date: 01 Mar 2003 10:42:30 -0700

>>>>> "Jeroen" == Jeroen Frijters <address@hidden> writes:

Jeroen> I really don't like this model, because it forces the VM into
Jeroen> using a long for the file descriptor. IMHO a better
Jeroen> alternative would be to have instance methods in
Jeroen> that call a static native.

I'm curious about this: when would using a long cause problems?  It
seems to me that a native pointer will fit in a long on every
platform.  In your VM, do you need to use an actual GC-visible object
as the file descriptor?