Re: [Classpathx-discuss] What about creating javax.sql.*

From: Arnaud Vandyck
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] What about creating javax.sql.*
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:06:52 +0200 (CEST)

Maybe my mail wasn't clear enought but this is the response I
/ Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> wrote:
| Hi,
| On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 16:11, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
| > Can someone tell me if a free implementation already exists? Is
| > the classpathx project interrested?
| The javax.sql, javax.transaction and javax.transaction.xa packages
| are part of GNU Classpath <>
| and are, as far as I know, mostly implemented.

That was what I was looking for! My problem is I want these
implementations whithout the obligation of using the full classpath
project. I wanted to package these for Debian[1]. And I don't know how
to provide jta and jdbc-stdext-2.0 with free software.

So! Is it possible to get jta and jdbc-stdext-2.0 separate from the
full classpath so I can package these for Debian? Is it resonable as a
transition (waiting full feature classpath api - awt and so...-)?

| If you could check their status and maybe add some documentation
| that would be very much appreciated.

I can do that in one or two weeks. I check the full classpath cvs and
the send patches if I am able to :-).

| If you want the result to be part of the main distribution then
| contributions should be based on publicly available documentation
| and be original, so no copying allowed if you want the result be
| part of the main distribution. Please contact the address@hidden
| mailinglist for more information.

| As was suggested earlier it would be very nice if you could check
| the implementation against free software packages that are already
| using these packages.

JOTM[2] seems to implement jta:

Related specifications[3]

    * Sun: Java Transaction API (JTA) Specification,
    * Sun: Java Transaction Service (JTS) Specification,
    * OMG: Transaction Service,
    * OASIS: Business Transaction Protocol.

commons-dbcp[4] implements javax.sql.DataSource. I think many other
projects must do this. Not only drivers.

So, IMHO, it's not so important to have a implementation of the
reference API but it's important to provide the reference API (I don't
know if I am clear?).

[1] see and

- -- Arnaud Vandyck @ work
   FingerPrint = 82F3 45D0 F1B2 D79E D0BE  5188 E2FC C566 EEB6 B4C2
         | Linux Copy Party le 26 avril 2003 au Val BenoƮt |
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Processed by Mailcrypt 3.5.8 <>