gnu.java.io.encode.EncoderUTF8.java

From: David P Grove
Subject: gnu.java.io.encode.EncoderUTF8.java
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 11:39:19 -0400

I've been tracking down a bug using  classpath to run JSPs on top of Jikes
RVM and I think the root of the problem is that EncoderUTF8.java is
strictly following the UTF8 encoding scheme instead of the "pseudo-UTF8"
that JVMs actually need.  In particular, the character \u0000 is being
encoded as the one byte 0 instead of the 2 byte sequence that Java uses.

I'm happy to contribute a bug fix for this.  My question is should I
change EncoderUTF8 to implement the Java treatment of \u0000, should this
be conditional on some flag, or should I add a new encoder that is
indentical to the original except for the treatment of \u0000?

thanks,

--dave