Re: gnu.java.awt.font

From: Sascha Brawer
Subject: Re: gnu.java.awt.font
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:56:10 +0200

Brian Jones <address@hidden> wrote on Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:06:01 -0400:

Sascha> I've put a new snapshot of a prospective gnu.java.awt.font
Sascha> package at the following address:
Sascha> http://www.dandelis.ch/development/fonts/#Implementation

>Is this something we should get imported into Classpath since you're
>no longer working on improving it or are you thinking of writing it on
>top of OpenGL?

We really should discuss how to do graphics in general; see the workshop
announcement in a separate mail. Therefore, I think it would be too early
to import my code into Classpath. Before importing it, we should find
some general interface to font engines, so that those who can use
FreeType or some other native engine are able to use that instead of my
(pure Java) implementation.

Since you mention it: OpenGL has actually very little to do with fonts.
Its potential role in 2D graphics is fast operations on polygons and
images. To draw text with OpenGL (or also with the X rendering
extension), one needs to render some glyphs into a raster image, pass the
image to the rendering engine, and draw rectangular sections of that
image. This is orthogonal to choosing, measuring and obtaining glyph
outlines, which is what my (or any other) font library does.

Best,

-- Sascha

Sascha Brawer, address@hidden, http://www.dandelis.ch/people/brawer/