Re: Classpath - javax.sound implementation - which library?

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Classpath - javax.sound implementation - which library?
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:47:35 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 19:19, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Ricky Clarkson wrote:
> > I've been looking at tritonus, and its mixer capabilities are
> > ALSA-specific (hence Linux-specific).  Is there some other library that
> > would be viable for Classpath, such as SDL, that would be more portable?
>
> Tritonus also supports ESD as it backed, I've merged in both into kaffe.
>   The tritonus developers were quite open minded about others
> contributing backends for other libraries when I spoke to them last time
> around (when the code was merged into kaffe).
>
> And it works quite well, by the way ;)

Nice. Have people tried it out with gcj, kissme or some other VM based
on GNU Classpath?

> > I'm not sure of licensing issues around SDL or even tritonus, but
> > tritonus is LGPL, and the authors are apparently flexible on licensing.
>
> I doubt LGPL will work with classpath as
>
> a) LGPL can be transformed to GPL, which is not equal to GPL + linking
> exception that Classpath has

Which does not mean we cannot recommend using their implementation of
javax.sound as is on GNU/Linux systems if it just works out of the box
and has no non-free dependencies. Our current AWT implementation is also
depends on LGPL code (gtk+). The LGPL makes sharing some code with
people who are mainly interested in embedded systems more difficult, but
since tritonus depends on ALSA and/or ESD which are already distributed
under the (L)GPL this doesn't really matter.

> b) Tritonus developers would have to submit their copyrights for the
> code to the FSF anyway for the code to enter Classpath.

If we want to distribute it as an integral part of GNU Classpath then
making sure that all code is assigned to the FSF is the preferred way to
go. But there are other ways we could package things.

> So the best course of action would seem to be to have Mark contact them
> about contributing their code to Classpath. I would fully support such a
> move.

As soon as I have tried it out (might take a couple of days) I will
contact them about how best to work together.