Re: Revolution Action (was: Re: [Little Off Topic] Revolution is on ; ))

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Revolution Action (was: Re: [Little Off Topic] Revolution is on ; ))
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 18:24:45 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 12:20, Chris Gray wrote:
> I wrote to my contact as follows:
>
> CG> I understand that  Tom Tromey is already scheduled to do a talk on gcj at
> CG> Fosdem 2004.  There is also considerable interest from the rest of the
> open
> CG> source Java community, certainly enough to justify a BOF and IMO probably
> CG> enough to justify a "lightweight thread" of some kind - e.g. a sub-block
> CG> within the embedded space. For example we could have short presentations
> from
> CG> some of the open source Java projects Out There (Classpath, ikvm, jaos,
> CG> kaffe, wonka...) and some kind of discussion of the burning issues wrt
> Java
> CG> and open source (JCP, JCK, SCSL).  I'd be willing to act as organiser.
>
> and he replied that he'd forward this to the Program Comittee with a
> recommendation that they accept it.

Thanks. Please let us know if you get any reply.

But please don't refer to GNU Classpath as an open source Java project.
We are a Free Software project (that does use a open source development
model). As Dalibor recently said on debian-java: "The open-source
community is busy making open source programs that work on Sun's JDK,
and rarely cares enough about free runtimes to submit bug reports, or
fixes. That's in large part caused by the (to an extent only perceived)
incapabilities of the free runtimes to compete with Sun's offering in
one way or another (features, stability, etc.)." We really want to
change that attitude and focus on freedom for software users/developers
and not on development or economic models.

BTW Tom Tromey did get his 15 minutes of fame already! See:
http://www.fosdem.org/2004/index/interviews/interviews_tromey