Re: SystemClassLoader

From: Etienne Gagnon
Subject: Re: SystemClassLoader
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 14:26:50 -0500

Hi Archie,

I would be interested in using your code if it was licensed under the
less restrictive LGPL.  Some people even suggested that it would be
very nice of you if you could put this code in the public domain, so
that any jvm, regardless of license, would be able to use it...

Are you up to making a great donation to the world, and conquer it?

:-))

Etienne

Archie Cobbs wrote:
Mark Wielaard wrote:

Performance-wise, the VM keeps it's own list of loaded-classes so a class-loader isn't continually asked for the same class (although this will work). Note, I'm interested in doing this so that JamVM can read from jar and zip files - implementing zip in the VM duplicates functionality and I'm trying to keep JamVM small (approx 80K on Intel, 100K on PowerPC stripped).

FYI,

If any VM developers out there are interested, I have some code that can
read ZIP files and is based on libz. So if you are willing to link your
VM with libz, then the code required in the VM itself to support ZIP/JAR
files is small (one file "zip.c" which about 530 lines). GPL copyright.

This is part of a yet another JVM (!) based on Classpath-0.07 that I hope
to release in the next couple of months.

-Archie