Re: Help and input needed

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: Help and input needed
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 18:14:16 +0100

Hi Mark,

here's a short update on what's been happening:

Mark Wielaard wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 23:10, Dalibor Topic wrote:

- java-gnome bindings. I have already posted it on this list twice so I
 won't repeat how important I think it is to have our stuff work nicely
 with it!

O.K., I've done a little bit on this today, and got in touch with the java-gnome devs. I still haven't managed to build java-gnome with kaffe, but I'll give it another go on thursday. Otoh, the devs have told me that their build now works with kaffe, so there is some progress there ;)

And there is a new release out that should make it easier for people to
test this: http://www.gnomedesktop.org/article.php?sid=1538
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/java-gnome/java-gnome-0.8.2.tar.bz2?download

I'll do this over the holidays.

[UserLinux], I want to approach them with a balanced e-mail that corrects their mistakes and recommends a GNU classpath based VM, offering a general overview (names, links) of Classpath based VMs, like my recent post to debian-java, just without the details about the VMs. Then I'd follow up with an e-mail on kaffe, and our efforts to run enterprise-ish software on it. I'd cross-post to GNU Classpath mailing list and invite other VM developers to reply to the mail then as well, describing their VMs and why they think it would be a good choice for UserLinux. Then whoever is making the decisions about UserLinux can make those decisions with a little bit more background than they have now.

That would be very much appreciated!

I started the userlinux free java discussion with this thread [1] and continued in this one [2] to argue against a non-free java runtime, with a positive decision from UserLinux project leader Bruce Perens [3] and I'm now trying to help them figure out what they need, and how to contribute to the free java runtime community [4].

- Savannah GNU Classpath code checking
 We need to check if someone has tempered with any code when they had
 access to the CVS server. Doing checks against kaffe and libgcj
 sources should help with this.
 See also http://savannah.gnu.org/statement.html

I've never (fortunately) had to do someting like this before, so I'm slightly confused about what exactly I am supposed to do. Should I check if my diffs match my patches I contributed to GNU Classpath? diff everything against kaffe's source tree?

If you could provide a list of files/classes that kaffe has imported
from GNU Classpath and that you are sure about that they haven't seen
strange changes in kaffe CVS recently that would already help.
In general it would be nice to have a comparison page for kaffe like
libgcj has. See http://gcc.gnu.org/java/libgcj-classpath-compare.html

Mostly the reason for the differences is the existence of unmerged patches on both sides (text, serialization, rmi), really. I'll post a list of files and why they differ on the weekend.

On a side note, I'm trying [5] to get people from different java application packaging efforts (rhug, jpackage, debian, gentoo ...) to think about combining their efforts on some meta aspects of packaging java applications. I'll keep the list updated as the discussion evolves. That woould be a way to involve freedesktop.org in our efforts, if it turns out that people from the diverse packaging efforts can find a common interest.

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] http://lists.userlinux.com/pipermail/discuss/2003-December/001652.html
[2] http://lists.userlinux.com/pipermail/discuss/2003-December/001677.html