Re: Fixing 'make distcheck' w/ newer tar - autotools usage problem?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Fixing 'make distcheck' w/ newer tar - autotools usage problem?
Date: 01 Mar 2004 13:34:19 -0700

>>>>> "Grzegorz" == Grzegorz B Prokopski <address@hidden> writes:

Grzegorz> Thanks to help from Bdale the problem seems to boil down to
Grzegorz> using "o" option in 'tar chof' which turns on old, v7 mode,
Grzegorz> which doesn't allow for paths longer than 100 chars. Old tar
Grzegorz> worked because it forced usage of POSIX tar settings even
Grzegorz> when asked otherwise (it was a bug).

Could you submit an automake bug report?

As I recall, way back around when automake first started, we added -o
here because GNU tar would make archives which couldn't be read by any
other form of "tar".  Perhaps now we need `tar --posix' or something
along those lines, perhaps depending on configury.

Grzegorz> Is there some way to persuade
Grzegorz> automake not to enforce old compatibility mode when using tar?

Nope.

Tom