Re: Runtime.exec() implementation

From: Archie Cobbs
Subject: Re: Runtime.exec() implementation
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 22:39:33 -0600 (CST)

Tom Tromey wrote:
> Archie> I wrote an implementation of Runtime.exec() (including a new class
> Archie> java.lang.VMProcess which extends java.lang.Process and native code)
> Archie> for JC. This can be easily merged into Classpath if people want it.
> Archie> It seems like a pretty glaring omission.
> I think that would be excellent.
> I'm interested in seeing your implementation, in particular whether it
> suffers from the problems described here:

My implementation would have the same problem regarding problem #2
(only on Linux of course; FreeBSD's N:1 threading would not have
that problem). It also doesn't reap a child killed via destroy() but
that should be easy to fix.

However for #1 I was under the impression that the correct behavior
in the case where exitValue() is called before waitFor() is to throw
an IllegalThreadStateException so that's what my code does; see:

Archie Cobbs      *        CTO, Awarix        *