Re: Tests (Was: Classpath post from address@hidden requires approval)

From: Thomas Zander
Subject: Re: Tests (Was: Classpath post from address@hidden requires approval)
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:40:46 +0100

On Thursday 25 March 2004 19:44, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Writing tests and documentation is fine. And really appreciated!
> If you would like to help with testing then please check out the Mauve
> project which we use for much of our testing purposes.
> http://sources.redhat.com/mauve/

I downloaded the snapshot and got it running; I'll try to find out how this
works and see what I can add. Thanx.
First impression was a bit strange; 70195 of 3581269 tests failed on Suns
JDK 1.4.2_02...
seems like lots of tests copy-pasted but not finished.

> Also taking an existing free program written in the java language and
> trying to make it work with gcj, kaffe or another VM based on classpath
> is really appreciated.
Hmm; my projects use lots of Swing code; so that seems like a no-go idea
for some time to come..
Is the Apache licence considered Free for you guys (I'm really an open
source programmer, not a free-software one..).

When I have some time (yeah-right!) I'll try to get my pet-project
http://uic.sf.net running. But this requires to setup something like
kaffe; I'll see how well this is apt-gettable..

> On the documentation front we are missing a good overview document.
Something like this?:
  You never heard of Suns Java; then here is the documentation that
  introduces you to Java! The Free libraries provided in Gnu Classpath
  can be used as an extensive library to allow any task to be programmed
  in Java.
  As the Gnu Classpath is just a library for the Java language, you will
  want to have a application which can run Java code (called a Runtime
  Environment), as well as a compiler to compile your code to be run by
  anyone that has a Runtime Environment installed as well.
etc.

> We do already have some nice API documentation (although it can
> certainly use more attention for some packages/classes):
> http://www.klomp.org/mark/classpath/doc/api/html/

Editing this is done by editing the sources?
So checking out the sources and posting a diff will allow me to send you
updates/fixes etc.
What about images?  I suggested to the Sun people at one time that things
like the rotate(double rad) should have an image which displays the
rotation.  This is needed since the Graphics object has a coordinate
system which is opposite to the one you learned in math school..
Classical programmers mistake (which IMO means bad docu)

> > Please cc answers as I'm not subscribed.
>
> Please subscribe to the list.
Just did.

- --
Thomas