Re: gtk-peer compile fixes for gcc-2.95

From: Michael Koch
Subject: Re: gtk-peer compile fixes for gcc-2.95
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:28:55 +0100

Am Freitag, 26. März 2004 11:09 schrieb Mark Wielaard:
> Hi,

> > Michael> We had this discussion on irc lately because I got a
> > report Michael> about this from a user. Tromey said the best
> > solution would Michael> be to pass -std=c99 (or similar) to gcc
> > instead of changing Michael> the source code. Its a discussion C89
> > vs. C99.
> >
> > Actually I think I'd prefer we change the source and use -std=c89.
> > I'm assuming C89 is what Classpath native code is supposed to be
> > written in.
>
> I don't believe it is really designed for a particular C-dialect. But
> it would be nice if it is compilable with gcc-2.95. It seems gcc-2.95
> supports -std=c9x so we can switch to that. But I cannot figure out
> how to convince Autoconf that I want that dialect used for my C
> files. Clues anybody?

Added AM_CFLAGS=-std=c89 in the Makefile.am is one option but it would
mean we need to add it to all Makefile.am in all dirs with native code.

CFLAGS=$CFLAGS -std=c89
AC_SUBST(CFLAGS)

This in configure.ac is another option.

The only problem I see is that we probably support non-gcc compilers
that dont support this flag. What will they do when they see it ?

Michael