Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues

From: Steven Augart
Subject: Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 14:27:19 -0400

Etienne Gagnon wrote:
the main motivation is for Classpath to use less portable approaches when they make CNI faster, as the performance of CNI and the other non-spec compliant
interfaces is the main objective.

Jikes RVM uses JNI and is unlikely to ever implement CNI. There are other classpath-using VMs that implement JNI.

Obviously, most of those of us who work on a specific VM are thinking about what proposals will mean for our particular VM. For the Jikes RVM crowd, Dave Grove, Mike Hind, and I will object loudly to anything that really messes up JNI, and I'm sure the other JNI users will speak up for their VMs.

--
Steven Augart

Jikes RVM, a free, open source, Virtual Machine:
http://oss.software.ibm.com/jikesrvm