Re: [Jikesrvm-core] Re: gnu.java.nio.channels.FileChannelImpl

From: Steven Augart
Subject: Re: [Jikesrvm-core] Re: gnu.java.nio.channels.FileChannelImpl
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 06:58:33 -0400

Anthony Green wrote:

I did an exotic port, and this was my solution (which I still think is a
good idea!):

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/2003-04/msg00092.html

The overhead of always using a 64-bit quantity to store a file descriptor and then passing it to the JNI functions would be several times lower than the overhead of those JNI functions having to call PlatformFileDescriptor.getFD().

Unless, of course, your VM implements something like CNI. So this might be an efficient solution for GCJ.

--Steve Augart