Re: RFC: Require VM to provide JNI 1.2 support?

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: RFC: Require VM to provide JNI 1.2 support?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:56:54 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, 2004-06-06 at 06:38, Steven Augart wrote:
> Classpath currently uses only JNI 1.1, except for one JNI 1.2 function
> in the JNI Invocation API: GetEnv().  And GetEnv() is only used in the
> --portable-native-sync code, so it's only actually used by Jikes RVM
> and Kaffe.
>
> Mark has suggested that it might be a good idea for the next release
> of GNU Classpath to require that the VM provide JNI 1.2.  He's asked
> me to post this Request for Comments on the idea.

Thanks for starting this discussion. It seems most people are in favor
(since most runtimes already have support for this). But just to show
what is involved I will post Steven his JNI 1.2 overview (which he made
for the JRVM hackers, but is interesting for all runtime hackers I
assume):

Here is the list of 1.2 additions, plus some comments about which other
projects already make use of these extensions:

     * Library and Version Management
           o JNI_OnLoad
           (Is used by java-gnome to register native methods)
           o JNI_OnUnload
     * Local Reference Management
           o EnsureLocalCapacity
           (This should actually be used in some of out gtk+ awt peers)
           o PushLocalFrame
           o PopLocalFrame
           o NewLocalRef
     * Exceptions
           o ExceptionCheck
           (Used by java-gnome and eclipse)
     * Weak Global References
           o NewWeakGlobalRef
           o DeleteWeakGlobalRef
           (Might be handy for gtk-threads)
     * Array Operations
           o GetPrimitiveArrayCritical
           o ReleasePrimitiveArrayCritical
          (Used by eclipse)
     * String Operations
           o GetStringRegion
           o GetStringUTFRegion
           o GetStringCritical
           o ReleaseStringCritical
     * Reflection Support
           o FromReflectedMethod
           o FromReflectedField
           o ToReflectedMethod
           o ToReflectedField
     * Invocation API
           o GetEnv
           (Used by gtk-threads, eclipse and java-gnome)